If you live in Japan and are trying to get a permanent resident of Japan, here is good news for you.
According to the revised guidelines for permission for the permanent resident by The Ministry of Justice, Immigration Bureau of Japan, you only need one year to get a permanent resident of Japan.
However, to grabs this opportunity, you should have Highly Skilled Professional (HSP) status for at least a year with 80 points or more.
New Immigration Rules To Get Permanent Resident of Japan
Before the new rule comes into effect, you should stay in Japan for at least a minimum of five years. In most cases, ten years of living is mandatory to get a permanent resident of Japan.
With the new immigration rules, the number of years comes down to 3 years for some. And even a little one year for certain highly skilled professional status people.
However, the standard rule to qualify for a permanent resident for the ordinary people who are not considered under the Highly Skilled Professional status still the same of 10 years.
Under the new regulation, if you have been approved as a Highly Skilled Professional (HSP) and scores 70 points, you can apply the permanent resident in Japan after three years with maintaining the same status.
If your application for Highly Skilled Professional is assessed as having 80 points or more, you can now apply the permanent resident in 1 year. In this case, you should maintain the Highly Skilled Professional status with 80 points or more for at least one year.
Who can Apply Permanent Resident in Japan?
- If you are in the status of Highly Skilled Professional (HSP) with 80 points or more for at least one year, you can apply for permanent resident in Japan.
- If your status is Highly Skilled Professional (HSP) with 70 points for at least three years, you can apply for permanent resident in Japan.
- Or if you live in Japan continuously for the past ten years.
- Additionally, if you have been the spouse of a Japanese national for more than three years and you have lived in Japan continuously for at least one year.
Additional Requirements for Permanent Resident
All foreigners who are applying for permanent resident in Japan should comply with the following conditions.
- You should pay your taxes and insurance premium during your stay in Japan.
- You should not have had any criminal record, including any traffic violence records.
- Your financial situation should be stable. You should justify a minimum annual income threshold of 3.3 million yen for a single person, 4 million yen for a couple, and 4.5 million yen for a couple with a child.
Point Evaluation Mechanism for Highly Skilled Professional
[pdf-embedder url=”https://nepsort.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/171110_point_calculation_forms-1.pdf” title=”171110_point_calculation_forms”]
Source: Immigration Bureau of Japan